About Buttonwood and PRL
Prometheus Research Labs (PRL) is the team building Buttonwood Bonds, an on-chain market for long-term debt. We’re the first team to build a liquidation-free debt market, unlocking safe DeFi borrowing for the vast majority of users.
Money markets have three core components—short-term debt (demand-deposit markets), exchanges, and long-term debt (bonds). DeFi today has exchanges and short-term lending with scale, as evidenced by the size of Uniswap, Compound, and Aave. But long-term lending is still missing.
Long-term debt is non-callable debt. This means freedom from margin calls and liquidations. For example, a drop in the value of your home does not trigger the liquidation of your house—rather, only multiple missed payments can bring the house into foreclosure. In contrast, short-term debt can lead to liquidations during times of high volatility.
The Buttonwood Foundation’s mission is to grow both the web3 bond market and a new generation of decentralized finance (DeFi) instruments—including fiat-free stablecoins, yield splitters, and long/short options. Our projects are composed of simple, open contracts—we seek not to build a platform or walled garden, but a set of tools open to all.
The Buttonwood Foundation is backed by True Ventures, Framework Ventures, BlockTower Capital, NfX, Bitfinex/Tether, Mechanism Capital, Bixin, Founders Collective, and numerous DeFi founders (including from Coingecko, Balancer, Cozy, Syndicate, and many more).
Great PRL engineers are self-driven, passionate, innovative, and have an affinity for thoroughly designing and thinking through complex systems.
As a smart contract engineer, you will help us build foundational smart contracts that will power the next generation of DeFi applications.
You are incredibly curious in general, and passionate about DeFi specifically. You are excited to think about what DeFi can do and are not shy about new products and approaches.
Last but not least, we are a small team. You have a track record of improving how you work in teams, including working on clarity, frequency of communication, and helping others. You value robustness, minimalism, and speed in your code.
- Produce high quality, performant, and well-tested Solidity code
- Architect smart contract infrastructure
- Achieve comprehensive unit and integration test coverage
- Write specs and review PRs from teammates
- Implement the Buttonwood Bond Market smart contracts and tests
- Implement and design periphery contracts for Buttonwood Bond Market
- Implement decentralized web application experiences
- Work with the team to design, deploy, and maintain highly usable user experiences
- Write robust test suites for web applications
- Experience building and releasing production grade smart-contracts
- An understanding of the Ethereum Virtual Machine and the DeFi and Web3 ecosystem
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Strong sense of ownership
- Interest or experience in open, decentralized, permissionless technologies, and the intersection of contemporary technology, economics, finance and governance.
- Must be willing to overlap with Pacific Time Zone
- Bonus: Experience or interest in contributing to frontend development
- Bonus: Experience with React, Redux, and other frontend technologies
- Bonus: Bachelor's degree in computer science or related discipline
- Competitive Salary (TBD based on experience)
- Token Incentive Plan (TBD based on experience)
- Comprehensive Insurance, flexible hours, unlimited vacation
- Fully remote (if desired–California/Bay Area preferred)
How to apply
Please send an email to matthew @ prl.one with 100% of the following if you wish to be considered for this role:
- Resume / CV
- Git repo link
- LinkedIn or Twitter URL (or another profile)
- A short response to the following questions:
- When would you be ready to start?
- What is your experience with Web3 and/or DeFi?
- What is your experience writing smart contracts?
- What is your experience with working with remote development teams?
- Would you consider yourself deadline oriented?
- What is your favorite Web3 protocol or Fintech application and why?
- Would you be interested in relocating to California?
- Would you be able to overlap with Pacific hours (PST)?
We look forward to hearing from you!